raidergirl3's list

I've been perusing the awards lists lately, so this challenge was very timely. I was toying with the idea of my own personal challenge to read a certain number, so thanks 3M for doing this for me. And it's always more fun to read with others, although all these challenges seem to do is give me more books I want to read. I can see easily going beyond twelve for this challenge, but I may be flush with the excitement of a list of big, fat juicy books.

The books I already have or had planned to read for other challenges would be:

  1. 1993 A Lesson Before Dying - Ernest J Gaines(National Book Critics Award)
  2. 2006 Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures -Vincent Lam (The Giller Prize)
  3. 1981 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole (Pulitzer) done
  4. 2006 The Echo Maker - Richard Powers (National Book Award) I read this before the challenge started, so I'm not counting it. 2000 The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood (Booker)
  5. 2005 We Need to Talk About Kevin - Shriver (Orange Prize) done
  6. 2007 The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer) done
  7. 1985 The Bone People by Keri Hulme (Booker) done
  8. 2002 Atonement by Ian McEwan (National Book Critics' Circle Award)
  9. 1997 The God of Small Things by Arundi Roy (Booker Prize) done
  10. 1997 The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H Cook (Edgar Award)
  11. 2004 The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (Newbery)
  12. 2006 Other Colors by Orhan Pamuk (Nobel Prize winner)
  13. 1999 The Hours by Michael Cunningham (Pulitzer)
  14. 1968 From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs Basil E Frankweiler by EL Konisburg (Newbery)
  15. 1989 The Remains of the Day by Kazou Ishiguro (Booker)
  16. 1961 Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (Newbery)
  17. 2005 Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason (Gold Dagger Award)
  18. 1991 Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (Newbery)
  19. 1983 Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee (Booker, Nobel Laureate)
  20. 1986 Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Nebula, Hugo)
  21. 2004 This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun (IMPAC Dublin)
  22. 2007 The Gathering by Anne Enright (Man Booker)
  23. 1990 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (Newbery)

and that will get me off to a great start. We have a whole year, right? Excellent

3 comments:

    This will be a great start! The Road is excellent, and The Echo Maker is very interesting psychologically.

    I've always wanted to read A Confederacy of Dunces. Maybe in 2008.

    It's great when some of the challenges overlap, isn't it?

    3M -I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces for the Southern Reading

    kookiejar - overlapping challenges is all that saves me :) I feel like I'm multitasking, getting two things accomplished at once