Kookiejar's List

Of course, I'm insanely excited about reading award winning books, and like some of the rest of you was planning on digging into a list like this soon anyway. Thank you 3M for hosting this challenge, which I think is going to be too tempting to pass up for many people. I think, like in my other challenges, I will post reviews for this challenge here and provide a link from my regular blog.

Here is my list. At first I'm only going to read books that I already have copies of.

1. We Need to Talk about Kevin-Lionel Shriver-Orange Prize (overlaps with the Something About Me)

2. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein Hugo Award (overlaps with the TBR Challenge)

3. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy National Book Critics' Circle Award

4. Sophie's Choice by William Styron National Book Award

5. Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez National Book Award

6. Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally Booker Award

7. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry Pulitzer Prize

8. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson Hugo Award

9. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides Pulitzer

10. The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie Costa Award

11. The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx National Book Award

12. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Hugo Award

My alternates:

Costa Award
Andrea Levy, Small Island

Hugo
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

PEN
Postcards by E. Annie Proulx,

National Book Critics' Circle Award
Kate Vaiden by Reynolds Price

National Book Award
The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Booker
True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey

Pulitzer
The Magnificent Ambersons - Booth Tarkington
So Big - Edna Ferber
The Confessions of Nat Turner by William Styron
A Summons to Memphis - Peter Taylor
Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
March - Geraldine Brooks

I'm going to clear out loads of shelf space this way. Thanks again 3M.

2 comments:

    So glad you joined! I haven't read any on your list of 12, but I will be reading Middlesex soon. I loved Schindler's list the movie, though.

    The only one on your alternate list I've read is March, which I didn't care for that much. The writing is excellent--I just didn't care for how they portrayed Mr. and Mrs. March.

    I have Postcards as well, but it may be awhile before I can get to it.

    Again, welcome!

    Thanks, 3m. This is just an awesome way for me to get to a lot of the books that have been gathering dust on my shelves since the beginning of time.