May 24, 2008:
I'm wrapping up this challenge today...I didn't read everything I wanted to, but I reached the goal of 12 books, plus I added 7 alternates. Those I didn't get to here will be shifted to Bookawards II! Thanks Michelle. To read my full wrap up, visit my blog here.

**************

I know, I know - I said I wasn't going to join anymore challenges. BUT, I couldn't pass this one up. I'm picking mostly books I either already have on my shelf, am reading for other challenges, or plan on reading for book groups.

Here's my FINAL list (pink highlights indicate author won Nobel only):
  1. The Bone People, by Keri Hulme, - Booker 1985 - COMPLETED July 12, 2007; read my review here.
  2. The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood - Governor Generals Award (Canada) 1985 - COMPLETED November 5, 2007; read my review here.
  3. The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood - Booker 2000 - COMPLETED August 1, 2007; read my review here.
  4. The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy - Booker 1997 - COMPLETED September 29, 2007; read my review here.
  5. The Echo Maker, by Richard Powers - National Book Award 2006 - COMPLETED September 6, 2007; read my review here.
  6. Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides - Pulitzer 2003 - COMPLETED November 1, 2007; read my review here.
  7. Disgrace, by J. M. Coetzee - Booker 1999 AND Commonwealth Writers Prize 2000 AND Nobel Prize awarded to author in 2003 - COMPLETED December 14, 2007; read my review here.
  8. East of Eden, by John Steinbeck - author won Nobel Prize in 1962 - COMPLETED October 12, 2007; read my review here.
  9. Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner - Pulitzer 1972 - COMPLETED April 17, 2008; read my review here.
  10. The Great Fire, by Shirley Hazzard - NBA 2003, Miles Franklin 2004 - COMPLETED August 8, 2007; read my review here.
  11. The Borrowers, by Mary Norton - Carnegie Medal 1952 - COMPLETED December 31, 2007; read my review here.
  12. The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson - Edgar (Best Fact Crime) 2004 - COMPLETED September 12, 2007; read my review here.
Alternates (or extras):
  1. The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck - Pulitzer 1932; Nobel Prize 1938 - COMPLETED November 28, 2007; read my review here.
  2. The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder - Pulitzer Prize 1928 - COMPLETED December 23, 2007; read my review here.
  3. The Giver, by Lois Lowry - Newbery Medal 1994 - COMPLETED January 1, 2008; read my review here.
  4. So Big, by Edna Ferber - Pulitzer Prize 1925 - COMPLETED January 17, 2008; read my review here.
  5. Life and Times of Michael K, by J.M. Coetzee - Booker Prize 1983; Nobel Laureate 2003 - COMPLETED February 17, 2008; read my review here.
  6. The Gathering, by Anne Enright - Booker Prize 2007 - COMPLETED March 9, 2008; read my review here.
  7. The Tenderness of Wolves, by Stef Penney - Costa/Whitbread 2006 - COMPLETED April 5, 2008; read my review here.

You can also find me at my main blog here, as well as at The Novel Challenges blog, The Notable Books Blog, The Lists - Books for the Obsessive Reader, and several other reading challenge blogs!

8 comments:

    Great list, Wendy! Many of them are on my list, and many of them would have made it on the list if it weren't already absurdly long/ambitious/foolish.

    I look forward to discussing many of the overlapping books (esp. the Australian ones)!

    I don't let a little thing like an absurdly long reading list deter me *laughs* I look forward to discussing books with you too, Ariel!

    **See what you started when you had that wonderful, whacky idea to start a challenge blog?!?!?

    It looks like there will be a fair amount of overlap here even though the list is so long. That's good, it will make for good discussions.

    I wonder why we have so many of the same books on our list?! :-)

    I can't count The Bone People, though, because I'm using it for the Chunkster Challenge.

    I didn't care much for Atonement, but some book bloggers absolutely love it. The Handmaid's Tale is WILD!!!! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    So glad you're here, Wendy!

    Thanks for the welcome, Michelle :)

    Isn't overlapping challenge reads okay? I hope so!!!

    YES!! It's fine. I was just joking because we belong to so many of the same groups together--which is GREAT!

    On June 25, 2007 at 10:58 AM Anonymous said...

    One great list! I can't waitto read your reviews!

    Don't ask me how I keep it all straight!

    I'm so there too! :o)