My Picks

I'm alisonwonderland, and I blog about books at So Many Books, So Little Time. I blog about the rest of my life at We're All Mad Here.

This was a hard list for me to create. First, there are just so many possibilities to choose from, and second, because the challenge lasts a whole year, I'm tempted to bite off more than I can chew but I'm forcing myself to be somewhat reasonable (one book a month, for a total of 12). Here's my list:

  • Margaret Atwood - Alias Grace (Giller Prize 1996)
  • Jung Chang - Wild Swans (British Book Award 1994)
  • Beverly Cleary - Dear Mr. Henshaw (Newbery 1984)
  • Karen Cushman - The Midwife's Apprentice (Newbery 1996)
  • John Grogan - Marley & Me (Quill Award in Biography/Memoir 2006)
  • E. L. Konigsburg - The View from Saturday (Newbery 1997)
  • Yann Martel - Life of Pi (Man Booker Prize 2002)
  • Susan Patron - The Higher Power of Lucky (Newbery 2007)
  • Louis Sachar - Holes (Newbery 1999)
  • Wallace Stegner - Angle of Repose (Pulitzer Prize in Fiction 1972)
  • Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots & Leaves (British Book Award 2004)
  • Laurel Thatcher Ulrich - A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812 (Pulitzer Prize in History 1991)

1 comments:

    The Midwive's Tale is VERY interesting - I can't imagine giving birth to my children in those conditions though they seemed to make the best of it. Her insight into the villages was very revealing. A great pick!

    Happy Reading!
    =) Jill