mamabright's list...finally!

This challenge intrigued me from the first moment I saw it...and I joined immediately...I knew that this challenge would stretch me to read some books I wouldn't normally pick up...

I've selected eight that I'm for sure going to read...ones that I probably would have picked up...and then another eight that I'm interested in reading...but I probably wouldn't have picked up...and I'll select my final four from this list depending on what I'm in the mood for when the time comes...

here are the 8 definites...

  • Unashamed by Francine Rivers (Christy 2001)

  • Arena by Karen Hancock (Christy 2003)

  • Songbird by Lisa Samson (Christy 2004)

  • Whence Came a Prince by Liz Curtis Higgs (Christy 2006)

  • Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski (Newbery 1946)

  • The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene du Bois (Newbery 1948)

  • The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli (Newbery 1950)

  • Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes (Newbery 1952)


here are the 8 alternates...

  • The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (Pulitzer 1939)

  • Lonesome Dove by Larry McCurtry (Pulitzer 1986)

  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker (Pulitzer 1983, National Book Award 1983)

  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres (Commonwealth Writers' Prize 1995)

  • Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann (Nobel 1929)

  • Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann (Nobel 1929)

  • something by Rudyard Kipling (Nobel 1907)

  • something by Ernest Hemingway (Nobel 1954)

  • something by John Steinbeck (Nobel 1962)


I haven't read any of these books...so I'm really looking forward to this challenge...thanks, 3M!

blessings, mamabright :-)

0 comments: