The Kite Runner

Originally posted here.

I know that most everyone has already read this book(and probably the next one by this author as well) so I don’t really feel the need to give a synopsis. So, straight on with my thoughts.

This is an amazing book. The characters are vivid and the story is haunting. It is a story of how to love someone when they act unlovably, forgiveness, atonement, sacrifice, redemption, war, etc. There are so many enduring themes in this book that I could go on and on.

It helped me to understand Afghanistan and the Afghan people more and the author paints a clear picture of what life was like there before the strife and also shows us what it is like now. The sadness that the Afghan people must feel for their homeland is palpable.

Once I started reading this book, I did very little else. It was that good. It will, without a doubt, go down as one of the highlights of my reading year. (5/5)

3 comments:

    Count me in the ranks of those who loved this book. It was amazing, and I also loved learning more about Afghanistan. I have worked several time with people who were exiles from there, either fleeing the Soviets or the Taliban, and they were all very sad at what was being done to their beautiful country.

    I haven't read it but its now on my TBR list. Thanks!

    i also found this to be an amazing book! (but i haven't yet his new book yet.)