Jane Urquhart - The Underpainter

I recently finished my 5th selection for this challenge, The Underpainter by Jane Urquhart. Here is an excerpt from my review:

The Underpainter is narrated by an elderly painter named Austin and covers a large span of his life, from his childhood into his forties. I mentioned before that this book reminds me of Philippe Claudel's Les Ames Grises and this is mostly because the tone of the narrator is so similar – such sorrow and regret, and such a need to account for his life. Austin circles in and out of his own story and the story of one of his friends – George. The two stories are, of course, linked far more deeply than is initially expected. And the way Urquhart moves us through these men’s lives is so adept, each new experience echoing another...

See the rest of this post at my blog here

0 comments: