Atonement Island: two more form raidergirl3

Atonement by Ian McEwan

NBCC 2002
I finally read this before learning too much about it from all the Oscar buzz. I really enjoyed the story, especially how a person's view of an event is based on their own experiences, sometimes with disasterous results. McEwan builds lots of suspence and the setting of pre- and wartime London gave me a wonderful weekend.
My full review is at my blog

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Newbery winner 1961

I loved this quiet story of survival. Karena is stranded on her island and forced to survive on her own. She sets a good example of levelheadedness and logical thinking. I'm sure I should have read this when I was younger, but then again, I may not have appreciated it as much.
My full review is here at my blog.

0 comments: