Matt's List

Hey, this is Matt from A Variety of Words where I'll be posting reviews of these books as I complete them. Fantastic idea for a reading challenge. This is only the second challenge I've joined and I'm looking forward to getting started. I ended up with about 19 books on my list so I'm posting the 12 plus 7 alternates.

  1. Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich (NBCC)
  2. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Man Booker)
  3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Hugo, Nebula)
  4. Europe Central by William Vollmann (National Book Award)
  5. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow (National Book Award)
  6. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (National Book Award)
  7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Nobel)
  8. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Orange)
  9. Beloved by Toni Morrison (Pulitzer, Nobel)
  10. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (Pulitzer)
  11. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Pulitzer)
  12. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (Pulitzer)
And now for some alternates just in case I decide to change it up a bit.
  1. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Governor General, Arthur C. Clarke)
  2. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (Arthur C. Clarke)
  3. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Hugo)
  4. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Pen/Faulkner, Orange)
  5. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck (Pulitzer)
  6. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Pulitzer, Spur)
  7. Seeker by Jack McDevitt (Nebula)
  8. War Trash by Ha Jin (Pen/Faulkner)
Nearly every one of these book was already on my list, and some I had been putting off, but no longer!

4 comments:

    I love seeing all that Atwood on your list! And TKaM is one of my favorite books ever, so I'll look forward to your review.

    On June 7, 2007 at 4:52 PM Anonymous said...

    I had actually started The Blind Assassin last night but now since I'm doing it for the challenge I will be putting it back on the shelf for another month.

    To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my wife's two favorite novels, which is one of the reasons I chose it.

    I hope you can squeeze in Handmaid's Tale and Bel Canto--both are great books!

    Great picks, Matt.

    Welcome!