Petunia's List

Thanks 3M for this challenge! I am so excited about reading these books. If I just made a list of books I'd like to read it would be way too long so I only listed the books that are on my shelves. Well, except one. Of course, I reserve the right to change my list at any time, for any reason, yada yada yada.


  1. Beloved by Toni Morrison-Pulitzer
  2. Beowulf by Seamus Heaney-Costa/Whitbread
  3. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke-Hugo
  4. On Beauty by Zadie Smith-Orange
  5. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton-Pulitzer
  6. The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder-Pulitzer
  7. The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor-National
  8. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck-Pulitzer
  9. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck-Pulitzer
  10. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway-Pulitzer
  11. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro-Booker
  12. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee-Pulitzer

I also have 4 more books to be read for the Newbery Award Challenge.


  1. Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray
  2. Shen of the Sea by Arthur Bowie Crisman
  3. The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli
  4. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare


That makes 16 books I'm striving to read in the next 12 months, along with my other non-challenge reading. Slow and steady will get me to the end.

2 comments:

    I strongly encourage you to listen to Seamus Heaney's Beowulf in addition to reading it or even by itself. His reading is an art form in itself.

    I've just checked and my library has a copy on tape. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be taking a long driving vacation next month. It sounds like this would be a good choice for a book on tape for the trip.