Suey's Award Challenge List

I think the appeal of these challenges is that it's just as fun to figure out your list as it is to actually read the books! :)

So I've been digging through my piles and have decided to read only books that I already have for this challenge. So, it sort of crosses over into the TBR Challenge area, though none of these books are on my current TBR list. You may, however, notice them (those unread by that time anyway) on NEXT year's TBR list, assuming, of course, that there will be another TBR Challenge next year!

My Awards Challenge List:

1. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (Booker 2000)
2. Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (Pulitzer 1972)
3. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (Pulitzer 2001)
4. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Booker 1989)
5. Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (Booker 1990)
6. The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx (National Book Award 1993, Pulitzer 1994)
7. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (National Book AND NBCC both in 1992)
8. The March by E.L. Doctorow (NBCC and Pen/Faulkner both in 2006)
9. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (Newbery 1985)
10. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse (Newbery 1998)
11. The Twenty-one Ballons by William Pène du Bois (Newbery 1948)
12. Miracles on Maple Hill by Viginia Sorenson (Newbery 1957)

Alternates:

1. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman (Newbery 1987)
2. Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor (Newbery 1977)
3. The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox (Newbery 1974)
4. Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg (Pulitzer/Biography 1999)
5. March by Geraldine Brooks (Pulitzer 2006)

(I added two I don't actually have: The Hero and the Crown which is now on it's way to me from PBS... and March, which I bet I'll get my hands on before too long!)

4 comments:

    What a great list, Suey! Now that I read yours, it made me wish I had put a few others on mine, like "Possession."

    I have read "Remains of the Day" three or maybe even four times now, often for classes that I was either taking or teaching, and each time it becomes more astonishing to me. I think it may, possibly, be the best book I have ever read. Not to hype it too much, of course. :)

    Wow, if pour of tor thinks Remains of the Day is that fantastic, maybe I should read that one first. ;)

    I'm rather jealous of all the people, like you Suey, who get to discover 'Kavalier & Clay' through this challenge. It's been one of my favorites for a long time.

    May have to put Remains of the Day on my list for 2008!

    Wow! I'm REALLY excited about both these books now! Both of them are a little intimidating to me too, so I'll just have to ignore that feeling and jump right in!