The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman has received lots of awards around the world. I can see why it would, it's got a unique story line and beautiful language, but if I were an award giver, it wouldn't get one from me.
Lyra is content to run wild among the scholars of Jordan College, with her daemon familiar always by her side. But the arrival of her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, draws her to the heart of a terrible struggle—a struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armored bears. And as she hurtles toward danger in the cold, far North, young Lyra never suspects the shocking truth: she is destined to win, or to lose, this more-than-mortal battle.
Lyra is a fascinating character. I loved her. I liked most of the book, although it is very dark and brutal and I don't think it's appropriate for children. But at the very end, it starts preaching from a parallel universe Bible and that really bothered me. One, because I don't like people re-writing the Bible; two, it was so out of character for the rest of the story.

I'd be interested in hearing if this bothered anyone else—and why or why not.

For a more detailed review, visit my blog.

4 comments:

    I didn't bother me, no. I have to say that I am not religious, though, so it's natural for me not to have an emotional reaction to these kinds of thing. I understand how this could bother some people, though.

    I truly love this series - it's probably my very favourite fantasy series - but I have to say that if you found this first book preachy towards the end, you probably will not like the rest of the series, as the same themes are developed even further in the other books.

    I agree that Lyra is a fascinating character :) One of my all-time favourite heroines.

    I love this series...except for the last book. I don't remember the religious/philosophical overtones in the first too so much, but in the last one he sort of knocks you over the head with it.

    Here was my review: http://nyssaneala.blogspot.com/2007/01/golden-compass-read-in-2006-subtle.html

    Hmm...that link didn't really work. But if you go to my blog, and type in "His Dark Materials", you'll come across the review.

    ting that you feel this way. I loved the first one in particular, but like nyssaneala the further into the trilogy I got the less I could get on with it. I do think the series is full of original characterization (I rather like the angels and God in the later books) but I also felt the series as a whole was rather preachy.
    Here's my review:
    http://equianos.blogspot.com/search?q=amber+spyglass
    and if this link doesn't work, it is the December 20th post.