Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Title: Middlesex
Author: Jeffrey Eugenides
Pages: 529
Rating: 4.25/5

Now, before you gasp at my rating--I think this book had all the potential to be ranked higher, but I think it was just a bad Reading time for me.

The story begins, "I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974."

Pretty intriguing if you ask me! Cal, the narrator, tells the story of his family beginning with his grandparents in Greece all the way to his own arrival in the book as a baby girl. The story is engaging and Cal is a wonderful storyteller, but at times the book felt a little long to me, a little too heavy in the details. I do think most of this was my own impatience at the time--maybe not from the book.

Anyway, I would recommend it (as many others have). My full review is here.

2 comments:

    I read this book for a book club, and it sparked a lot of conversation.

    I loved this book. It's true, so much of how you feel about a book can depend on your mood as you read it.