The Sea - 3M's Review

The Sea
by John Banville

2005, 195 pp.

2005 Booker Prize

Rating: 2 out of 5



This was not my cup of tea. I don't need an exciting plot to enjoy a book. I don't mind older men looking back on their lives. In a similar vein, I loved Marilynne Robinson's Gilead but hated Roth's Everyman. This was closer to Everyman.

Max is a widower that is overly sensitive to smells who is grieving (I guess?) over his wife. He calls her the "c" word and admits he really didn't know her because he preferred not to know her.

Not one character in the book was likable. I guess I was lucky this was short.

4 comments:

    On July 6, 2007 at 9:42 AM Anonymous said...

    When I read it, I did not like it either. I could barely manage to finish it.

    On July 6, 2007 at 12:41 PM Anonymous said...

    After Gilead, I thought I might like this, but I think I'm going to pass on it. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, either.

    Oh dear, he couldn't have been grieving her that much could he have, if he calls her the 'c word' and doesn't even seem to know her. It makes you wonder why some books get the awards they do, doesn't it?

    Michelle, I knew you liked Gilead, so I thought you might like this one too. I thought it was the most BORING book I've read in years!! 2.5 is actually giving it credit, if you ask me!!