Update: raidergirl reads

I've been forgetting to post reviews here of award winning books for the last while.

Other Colors: Essays and a Story by Orhan Pamuk
Nobel Prize winner

I've only read Pamuk's nonfiction books, Other Colors along with Istanbul but I love his lyrical writing and the picture of Istanbul he evokes. This is for the fan who likes to read everything by their favorite author, and includes a wide variety of topics, including literature, day to day life, his own books, and east versus west. My full review, including pictures form my brief visit to Istanbul, are here.


The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Pulitzer Winner 2007

How can you enjoy such a bleak and depressing story? And yet, it stays with you, and was very profound. Many other people have reviewed this better than I, but my full attempt is here at my blog.



The Tale of Despereaux by Kate diCamillo
Newbery Award Winner 2004

I liked this book so much, that after I returned it to the library, I went to the store to buy my own copy to have for my children. A little mouse who believes he can do what everyone else tells him he can't, and a princess who respects him.
My somewhat longer review is here at my blog.


We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shiver
Orange Prize Winner

This was a powerful book told from the mother of a school shooter's point of view. She tells things quite honestly, but there are no other perspective's to verify and she certainly wasn't very maternal. Sometimes I felt there was so much more I wanted to know. This would be a great book to have group discussions about. Here's my review from my site

0 comments: