The Chatham School Affair

This book is the 1997 recipient of the Edgar Award.

Henry Griswald is a moody, solitary boy whose father is the Headmaster of Chatham School. He dreams of life beyond his existence in the village of Chatham but has no idea that his life and the lives of those around him will be irrevocably changed by the events that take place in Chatham and at Black Pond in 1927.

I had some difficulty getting into this book. I am not exactly sure why. I enjoyed the author's writing style and I loved how the details of the story are handed out slowly making you want to learn just a little more. I can only attribute it to the fact that I am in a mid-winter funk. I am very glad I persevered though because I did enjoy it in the end.

There is a tragic air to this story that lets you know that a train wreck is inevitable. The reader can see that a chain of events is unfolding and wishes for the ability to alter circumstances for the characters and though things didn't unfold the way I thought they would, the ending is tragic just the same. This book turned out to be much better than I felt it would be at the beginning. (3.5/5)

0 comments: