Bellezza's Choices For The Book Awards Reading Challenge

Phew, it's a good thing I double checked the requirements and removed some of the choices I had which were Caldecott Medal books! I know they're quick, but a few really intrigued me as I am a teacher. However, here is the authentic, and qualifying, list I will read to complete your wonderful Challenge:

Nobel Prize Winners:
1. First Snow on Fuji by Yasunari Kawabata
2. My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Pulitzer Prize Winners:
3. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (finished July 1, 2007) by Michael Chabon
4. The Known World by Edward P. Jones
5. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
6. Empire Falls by Richer Russo
7. The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty

Pen/Faulkner Award:
8. Postcards by E. Annie Proulx

National Book Award f0r Young People's Literature:
9. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

Newbery:
10. Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson

Hugo Award:
11. Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

Edgar Award:
12. Come To Grief (finished July 5, 07) by Dick Francis

(By the way, I am also working on the Summer Mystery Reading Challenge for which I have chosen six Edgar Award winning books, so look for their reviews on my blog especially if you are a mystery lover).

It is with great anticipation that I begin your Challenge, 3M, as I consider all the award winning books to be a great foundation for us as readers. Thank you for hosting it!

p.s. Completed books will be highlighted in orange.

4 comments:

    Hey, just out of curiosity, what were the Caldecott winners you were interested in?

    I'm glad you asked! Because I've just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (the review for which I'll post on my regular blog by tomorrow), I was interested in "Golem" by David Wisniewski. It is a Caldecott medal book showing the importance of the Jewish golem (as far as I can understand, an icon made of clay with alleged powers). It made a nice tie to Kavalier and Clay, as well as sorely needed background knowledge for me. Also, I was interested in Animals of The BIble by Dorothy P. Lathrop which won the very first Caldecott in 1938. I love the illustrations in almost every Caldecott book.

    I will also be reading The Known World by Edward P. Jones. I heard him speak a few years ago and bought the book so it is time to get it read!

    I'll look forward to your thoughts, Juliann. It must have been exciting to hear the author! I bought the book a few years ago myself, when a member of our book club chose it. But, I missed that meeting and never did read it. Now's a good time for both of us!