The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Holley’s Review #5 of 12
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Alex Award 2007

OMG! I was by turns fascinated, repelled, grossed out, teary-eyed, and nauseated.

David is only 12 when his mother dies and he doesn’t quite understand things like his father’s loneliness, stepmothers and half-brothers. As he grows more resentful of his “new” family, strange dreams invade his nights and those dreams feature a man…a crooked man with a crooked hat who begins to appear outside his dreams as well. Soon he begins to hear his dead mother calling for him from the hole in the garden wall and of course he must investigate. So begins David’s quest to rescue his mother and it will take him on a deadly, horrifying journey through the heart of nightmares.

I loved this book. I would NOT let my teenage niece read it because she’d never sleep again. I’ll tell you this….the Crooked Man no doubt haunts Freddy Krueger’s dreams.

Happy Reading!
htw

2 comments:

    On November 19, 2007 at 1:11 PM Anonymous said...

    I can't wait to read this book and I am so glad my copy has the original fairy tales at the back too.

    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It's still hanging with me now almost 2 weeks later. I suggested it to a patron just this morning...I hope she checked it out.
    :-)
    htw